Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Sympathy busy

This weekend I went to Santa Rosa to see some people who were in town for a wedding. I didn't know the bride or groom but it was fun seeing all those people who are friends of theirs :)

Other than that, it's just been work. I refuse to tell this internet audience how much I've been working, because everytime I tell someone they become sympathy busy. This is a term I just made up addressing a reaction I get from this hypothetical situation: "Hi how are you doing?" "I'm doing great! I've just been lying out by the pool all day and taking these summer classes. How are you doing?" "I am also doing well, except I've been working x hours a week" "Oh man I totally know what you're talking about. Last weekend I had a paper due in my online class and it took me 30 hours to finish!!! And then I had to go see my friends in the Camen Islands and I had to spend ALL day at the beach and when I got back my boss totally expected me to work 16 hours IN ONE WEEK!!!..." etc.

We all do it of course. When I want to connect with someone who has had a rough day I'll tell them my troubles. But I hate when people play the competition game. Go ahead and tell me how you spent 4 hours counting to 1 million or that you slept till noon for the 3rd time this week. I value you as a person even if you can't relate to my workload.

No comments: