Saturday, March 18, 2006

Recipe for dinner

Tonight I was cooking dinner, and the spirit of Jessie was flowing through me so I decided to go nuts and make up a sauce for the leftover spaghetti noodles I had in the fridge. It turned out quite well, so I thought I'd share.


I buy my chicken ice-frosted in a bag because it's so much easier to cook with than those styrofoam chickenbreasts which (in my mind) leak salmonella juices everywhere. So when I cook dinner, my modus operandi is to skillet one frozen chickenbreast and when it's thawed, add some chopped up onions. I typically add some other stuff and serve with rice or spaghetti but tonight I looked in my fridge and saw my unused bottle of honeymustard that looked so tastey in the store. I put about 3 table spoons of that in a measuring cup with equal amount of water and about a teaspoon of basalmic vinegar. I stirred it up and it looked thin so I added some corn starch and threw it on the cooking chicken. I tasted some of the sauce with a spoon and it was good, but just didn't have the kick I wanted. So I added some ground mustard I had (it's spicy, usually used with a drop or two of water to make a wasabi-like paste) and some red cayenne pepper. I let that cook for a minute so the corn starch could thicken and put that on my noodles. The honey compliments the chicken, and the mustard compliments the onions.


Cooking is fun if you have the right spices and random ingredients!


Serves one, prep time 30 minutes.
1 chicken breast
1/4 onion chopped
some olive oil for cooking chicken and onions
3 tablespoons mustard
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon basalmic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
cayenne pepper
salt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy!